As the Halloween season nears its climax, it is important to keep your smile safe. Don’t forget to practice effective oral health care routines such as brushing and flossing daily. In addition, make a checklist of all of the things you can do to lower your risk of dental damage during the holiday. Helpful tips include the following:
– If you want your child to still enjoy all the fun that comes from trick-or-treating without the risks to their teeth, consider an incentive program to exchange their candy for a healthier alternative. This includes swapping their treats out for money, toys, or similar rewards.
– Stay away from sticky and chewy sweets that can linger in your mouth long after consumption and increase the rate at which tooth decay occurs.
– If you have any candy that is lying around, dispose of it after Halloween is over. Excess candy can leave you snacking for weeks on end, which can prolong your exposure to tooth decay.
– Avoid hard candies that can increase your risk for tooth chipping and cracking.
– Consider swapping out sugary sweets for healthy treats.
– Don’t forget to visit your dentist for bi-annual professional cleanings and routine checkups.
If you have any additional questions, or to book an appointment with Dr. Clell M. Morris, please contact us at (478) 994-0440 , or stop by our office in Forsyth, Georgia. From all of us at Forsyth Dental Center, have a ‘fangtastic’ Halloween!